JOURNEY MIDDLE SCHOOL CODE OF CONDUCT
A “Code of Conduct” is a statement about how we work together. It outlines both our rights and our responsibilities as members of Journey Middle School. A committee of students, parents, and school staff developed our “Code” in accordance with School District 62 Policy and the B.C. Human Rights Code. Information was collected from all groups and put together to make the Code of Conduct.
A SAFE AND CARING COMMUNITY
Journey Middle School is a safe and caring school. As members of this school community we have a responsibility to act in ways that are free of:
- Bullying, harassment, threat and intimidation;
- Physical violence and/or violence of any form;
- Verbal, physical or sexual abuse;
- Discrimination, especially based on race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or age (BC Human Rights Code);
- Theft and vandalism.
Our safe and caring school environment does not tolerate the presence of:
- Intoxicating substances;
- Weapons and explosives, regardless of whether real or replica;
- Intruders or trespassers;
- Tobacco and/or smoking (including e-cigarettes).
- The school expects that students will actively participate through effort and punctual, regular attendance, in their assigned education program.
- Students are expected to respect the rights and property of all Journey staff and students.
- Students are expected to comply with classroom expectations set by individual teachers in order to ensure that all students’ rights to effective and efficient learning environments are respected.
- Students are expected to wear clothing that is appropriate for an educational environment.
- Students are expected to respect all school and school related events and ensure they are free from use of restricted substances, weapons and of intimidation.
- Students are expected to respect the appropriate use of school computers, internet access and not use cell phones use while in class.
- Students will not interfere with the learning or learning environment of others.
- Students will not display behaviour that includes bullying, harassment, intimidation, or be racially, ethnically, or sexually prejudiced.
- Students will not fight on school property or on public/private property on their way to or from school.
- Students will not steal, smoke or be in possession of, or under the influence of, drugs or alcohol while on the school property or in attendance of any school events.
- Students will not plagiarize (copy) electronic or print media or other students’ work or display any academic dishonesty.
- Students will not be involved in any acts of verbal or cyber-hate messaging/cyber-hate websites/social media.
- Students will not be involved in any illegal acts such as assault, theft/vandalism or damage to property.
As a member of the Journey Middle School Community:
- I have a responsibility to keep others safe at Journey:
- behave in such a way that others are safe
- keep a community free from roughness, bullying, threats, harassment, discrimination, abuse or intimidation of any kind
- keep the school free from dangerous materials (real or pretend)
- actively encourage a violence free school
- report the presence of intruders or trespassers
Therefore, this ensures my right to be safe at school, at school approved activities or in other settings where engaging in the activity will have an impact on the school.
I have a responsibility to respect all people at Journey:
- show respect to other persons
- respect differences among people including gender, race, religion and sexual orientation
Therefore, this ensures my right to be respected, cared for, and included as an important part of the school community. In accordance with the BC Human Rights Code any form of discrimination is prohibited.
- I have a responsibility to keep Journey a healthy place to learn:
- look after my own belongings
- respect the property of others
- keep the school tidy and free from vandalism
- neither bring nor use tobacco, drugs, or alcohol
Therefore, this ensures my right to a clean, healthy school community.
- I have a responsibility to do my job at Journey:
- work hard
- cooperate with students and staff
- follow school and classroom rules
Therefore, this ensures my right to a positive working and learning environment
- I have a responsibility to be respectful at Journey:
- speak respectfully to all others
- respectfully and actively listen to all others
Therefore, this ensures my right to express myself appropriately and to be listened to.